1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

New Player. Need team building insight.

Discussion in 'Team Help' started by Delphiki, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Friend Code:
    I pulled 3-4 times after the tutorial and first 2 maps. I based my team off who I had 5* weapons for and each a different crystal color.
    Used
    WotL 5*weapon 4* armor
    Cloud 5*weapon(ogrenix) 4* armor
    Onion Knight 5*weapon
    Cecil 5*weapon
    Un-Used
    Sazh 5*
    Tifa 5*
    Tidus 5*weapon (15cp&35cp) 5* armor (used all my blue crystals on cloud)

I tend to use Cloud/OK/Cecil most of the time and just hack and slash my way to victory using WotL once in a while when I need to avoid breaks. The team seams strong but I know nothing of the other characters and what they could bring to the table.

I've got ~30k gems atm but since I'm nearly done clearing chapter maps I know the tide of currency is about to dry up so I don't want to pull until we get a banner for one of the future star units that I like comes up.

Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. Mist

Mist MommyMod Staff Member Moderator VIP

Friend Code:
    This is from a player who likes playing efficiently, but still plays to have fun:

I like WOL because of his Taunt/Shield set-up, it helped me out a lot while I still had 4* weapons. I went for his armor using Armor Tokens and couldn't be happier.

Cloud is good because he is a Channeler, someone with a BRV+HP move, and I like the Ogrenix the most out of all his weapoks when I use them as Assists because of the Paralyze Rate. It can honestly make or break a boss run sometimes for me, especially with one like the Wight Priest.

Tidus also becomes a Channeler, and a really good one too with his weapons due to his speed. I'd say: Equip Brotherhood on him until you can Max Limit Break It, and then equip his 15cp until you can MLB that too. The banner is ending, but realistically, Brotherhood alone is great enough.

Onion Knight provides Magic Damage for now, but try focusing on getting a weapon for a Magic Attack user, and for a Ranged Weapon. Sazh will suffice as he has good rounded stats, but others can do his role better. I like Wakka because of his high SPD and Blind Rate, which is like Paralysis. As for a Magic Attack, I have Vivi/Y'shtola/Yuna, with each being niche: Vivi is the strongest BRV attacker, Y'shtola delays for when I use Speedy characters, and Yuna for debuff/BRV Battery.

You might not need Sazh/Tifa/Cecil in the long run, but they are great at the begining.

Delphiki likes this.
  3. Mist

Mist MommyMod Staff Member Moderator VIP

Friend Code:
    Ask around, there are many players who have played the Japanese Version of this game and know how wrll the characters will age out. I play for fun, so I don't mind using a Pull here or there, but if you'r here for the long run, try asking @DanT and @Tifa Lockhart. They are also very cool Mods! @Berserkologist posts insight on Characters and Weapons for the "Current" player, so check out his great work if otherwise.

4. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Friend Code:
    Thanks for the help. What do you mean until you can MLB it? How do you limit break a weapon? Also I see squall is top tier but I didn't start until after his event, does that mean I'm just SOL?

5. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Friend Code:
    I looked into LB's, that's pretty daunting, I don't foresee myself getting many duplicates. The cost for crystals is outrageous.

6. DanT

DanT Coffeeologist Supreme! VIP

Cloud and Tidus would be a really solid base for a team and then you can just use the 3rd spot as a flex slot for WoL, Onion, Cecil or Tifa depending on what you're doing. Honestly, that should be quite enough to get you through until the characters you're aiming for arrive (or come back). The only addition that could be helpful is adding a good support character like Eiko, Ramza or Yuna to your pool, but you can probably get by without it if you don't want to.

In terms of longevity, Cloud and WoL are probably the ones that age better out of what you have, but all others except for Sazh will remain useful later on too.

MLB means Max Limit Break. You can limit break a weapon 1) by fusing a dupe into it or 2) using 4 power stones to LB it once. You can get Power Stones by selling unwanted/unneeded 5* weapons; each 5* is one Power Stone. Past event characters will be added permanently at some point, so you'll still be able to get Squall later. We just don't know when that will be.

Delphiki likes this.
  7. DanT

DanT Coffeeologist Supreme! VIP

Also, about crystals, that is not something that will be much of a limiter in the long run; maxing both Cloud and Tidus for example won't be too hard and you should be able to do it soon. I've been playing since release, and I have all my characters at maxed Crystal Strength already, so it's mostly a matter of time.

Delphiki likes this.
  8. Delphiki

Delphiki New Member

Friend Code:
    Oh this is a really cool feature! Guarantees 5* draws aren't completely junk.

9. FloppyDisk

FloppyDisk Active Member

Yea and lets say you happen to get like 4 of Onion Knights swords, if you are unsure if you're going to play him or not. If you MLB that weapon and sell it, you are still able to get 4 power stones from selling it while still acquiring the passive for Onion knight in the future for the possibility that you might use him. Or anyone else for that matter.