1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

Item Contemplations: Onion Knight - Ancient Sword

Discussion in 'General' started by Berserkologist, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Do you like your swords old? Well, Onion Knight does! Let's talk about an antique!

ANCIENT SWORD REVIEW BY BERSERKOLOGIST
    [​IMG]

MAX STATS (LV 35)
    ATTRIBUTEVALUE
    HP105
    INT BRV221
    MAX BRV2,683
    ATK850
    DEF49
    MAX CP30

AFFINITY ABILITY:

Deep Insight
    Blizzard Combo boost
    Upgrade: Sage II
    IMPACT
    This sword actually does Onion Knight some big favors. When using this sword, Blizzard Combo can be vicious (especially against anything vulnerable to ice). The fact that it cranks up the rate the Sage buff is achieved is also an attractive feature.

I'd say Ancient Sword is quite valuable, all things considered.​

SHOULD I PULL?
    Should you pull for this weapon? Well, if you read my review of Onion Knight, then you know that I don't hold him in the highest regard. Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to get Ancient Sword unless you're convinced that down the road they patch up his flawed mechanic... Although, I suppose if you really like Onion Knight and want to invest in him; having the Deep Insight passive while using his future weapon would mean that both Sage and Ninja are independently viable--to the extent of no longer feeling as though you're trying to "stand and sit" at the same time.

Anyway, the aforementioned commentary is just me waxing bias; so instead of injecting my own personal take, let's go over some questions:

1. Is Onion Knight needed for any content?
    Nope.
    2. Do you like Onion Knight?
    Only you can answer that.
    3. Will this speed up runs in say World of Illusions or other daily dungeons?
    Nope. Unless you simply have nothing invested in any channelers and are resorting to a two-step process for getting through, then maybe he'd work out just fine.
    4. Is Onion Knight viable without this weapon?
    More or less. He dramatically improves when using Ancient Sword, but saying he needs it seems like an exaggeration.
    5. Will there be better, more appropriate options for Onion Knight in the future?
    Not exactly. Stat-wise, yes, but if your goal is to have a rocking Onion Knight, I do believe the Deep Insight passive is strong enough to warrant the investment. This decision should really ride on #2.
    BERSERKOLOGIST'S EVALUATION / SCORE TERM (BESTâ„¢):
    AESTHETIC: 7 / 10
    UPGRADE IMPACT: 7 / 10
    NECESSITY: 6 / 10
    CURRENT VALUE: 7 / 10
    FUTURE PROOF: 7 / 10

Vllad7 and PikaJew like this.
  2. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Member

Friend Code:
    Great review...now if i just get one.......:(

3. Dmotron32

Dmotron32 Active Member

Man, OK was king in FFBE and Vaan was garbage...talk about a turn of events.

4. keoten

keoten Taking life day by day

Friend Code:
    In FFBE Vaan is still garbage and OK has lost his shine (or maybe he lost his oniony smell?) against many others haha!

On the other hand, it does seem that DFFOO focuses on somewhat balancing these characters more or less so they're not inherently useless or over-the-top OP. I guess it makes sense since they're giving you every character for free...and then you have to chase their proper gear.

Dmotron32 likes this.
  5. Dmotron32

Dmotron32 Active Member

During my FFBE time, OK was always in my lineup. Now I left tge game after I beat all the trials that was available at the time but I like this game more. More balanced and most important, it's pretty new. I was a year late for FFBE and the power creep was difficult to deal with.

keoten likes this.
  6. keoten

keoten Taking life day by day

Friend Code:
    Yeah I started within the first month or two of FFBE's release I think. It definitely helps to start right as a game is starting up for sure!

I also like this game a lot more since I get to collect my favorite characters and more. Grinding for weapons and armor in DFFOO feels a lot better than getting repeat characters you don't care about in FFBE. And missing out on limited-time 5* characters sucks if you really want them (Looking at you, Chow).

I feel like OO has done a lot of things better than BE.

Berserkologist and Dmotron32 like this.
  7. Dmotron32

Dmotron32 Active Member

I stop right around the Chow banner. Pulling for 5 stars was a headache but I seem to have a better luck with this game thus far.

keoten likes this.
  8. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Couldn't agree more!

keoten likes this.