1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

Gems?!

Discussion in 'Rants & Accomplishments' started by Radical, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    So I wanted to just kind of throw this little rant out here because it's something I'm personally disliking the most about this game. And that's the cost of Gems. When you're at the point in the game where you can't really complete missions to be rewarded gems, they become suddenly more difficult to obtain. Leaving me constantly trying to hold myself back from buying gems.

Sure there are sales once in a while, but the average price I feel is a little extreme. For some other mobile games that had a "gacha" system for obtaining units, weapons, or whatever you need to make yourself better, the cost was more reasonable and affordable. You could do a pull for 10 units for roughly $10-$20 if you didn't have the cash currency. And it usually paid off pretty well in the end.

In DFFOO if you don't have gems, but there's a banner you really want to pull on, you have to spend $37 just to afford one round of pulls, that will usually always net you about 5-7 trash items that no one wants. And even when you're just doing a single pull, either with gems or tickets, you're more than likely going to get of course a trash piece of equipment. I feel I'm struggling to build myself up and keep up with the direction the game is going simply because I can't afford pulls, and I don't get the items I need.

Now of course I'm not expecting the game to just give me what I want, but for how little to no profit I'm gaining from trying to do these pulls, I kind of want it to be a bit more balanced and cost efficient. Especially for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of money to put into the game in the first place. And I know SE isn't suffering for money, I mean how could they with their long and pretty successful line of games, and even having 2 online subscription based games. As well as their mobile games.

Now all this being said, I love this game to death, I really do. I find myself playing it all the time in my spare time. And I wouldn't be adverse to spending money on it, if only it were more affordable. And I know complaining here about it won't change anything but I just don't get why it has to be like this. Anyways, sorry about this long and winded rant that probably sounds a little immature. I've just been thinking about this for a while and wanted to get it off my chest to other players.

TL;DR - Why is this game expensive and difficult.

David Squall likes this.
  2. David Squall

David Squall Member

Hi Radical,

I agree with you. As far as I can see, this game has a crazy money/benefit rate (probably the craziest I've ever seen in a mobile game). At the cheaper deal, you can get 12.000 gems for €80 (I reside in Europe), that is basically 2 multi-draws. This is ludicrous. Any player knows that 2 multi-draws can be very bad in terms of pulls.

- Best scenario, you get one or two weapons you need, say, the 15cp and 35 cp you are looking for, plus one or two useless 15cp.
    - Worst scenario, you will get two or three 15cp weapons and none of them is the one you are looking for.

By the way, the best scenario doesn't imply you are done: once you get one copy of each weapon, you need 24 break stones to maximize the two weapons. That is, it will take 6 months (one break stone per week)!!! Does this worth spending €80? Definitely not. Sometimes there are gems sales, ok, but still, the rate doesn't worth it.

In Aerith's banner, I spent 15.000 gems (three multi-draws). I got Aerith's 35cp x1, Steiner's 35cp x1, Steiner's 15cp x1, and Shadow's 15cp x3. Needless to say, the only good thing is Aerith's 35cp. Then, free ticket gave me Aerith's 15cp x1. In real-money terms, this means €100 for one single copy of the weapon I was looking for. Luckily, they were free in-game gems, otherwise, I would be very upset!

This is the reason why I will never purchase gems. Not because I can't, not because I don't like this game (I love it!!), not because I don't want to be competitive....but simply because of the costs/benefits rate. I do honestly wonder why SE doesn't realize the problem.

Luckily, the game offers quite a lot of free gems. So, you can become strong even as a f2p. You must spend gems on very good banners only, with very good units.

3. LuckyStar

LuckyStar King of Reroll

Friend Code:
    JP 985 766 448
    I 100% agree with both of you above. F2P is really alright, but I want to support the devs and I can't, their deals are literally shit.

4. LuckyStar

LuckyStar King of Reroll

Friend Code:
    JP 985 766 448
    I live in Poland and for the equivalent of 5000 gems I get 6 days worth of food, and it's a fucking keto diet with seafood in it. For 36k gems I can pay rent - a studio in the middle of the capital city. What the fuck are you thinking, Squre Enix? I am your lost money here, speaking to you.

David Squall likes this.
  5. Hollowwraith45102

Hollowwraith45102 New Member

I feel you
    I agree with you, im in that state right now because since chapter 8 released, i wasted 50k gems on both lightning banners to not get any of her weapons. I just wish that characters would still be viable without their character specific gear

6. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader Member

Friend Code:
    It's neither. The game has higher than average rates (especially when 1st Anniv rolls around), and gives out quite a bit of free premium value (enough for 4 multipull each month, plus tickets).
    Grinding for levels is somewhat painful, that is true, but it's the normal consequence of having almost no Energy-gated content.

Would you rather have Fate/Grand Order levels of painful grind, gated by energy (though FGO does have a high cap and gives out lots of Golden Apples), fully unavailable units unless you hit that low 5* Servant rate and still pay ~20 € for no guarantee of a 5* whatsoever?

7. David Squall

David Squall Member

Agree. The game is incredibly enjoyable and there are a lot of free premium contents. I just wonder why on the money side it is so bad balanced.

8. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader Member

Friend Code:
    Because it's for whales, and the game would not support itself otherwise.

That said also because of this... Let's say it costs 10 € per multipull. This means that, in addition to the 6-8 items per month the game gives, you can now splurge more easily. How long you'd reckon it'd take, until even 35CP would be a really mundane event? This means they also need to make Events harder, or reduce free Gems supply, or both.

9. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    While I can agree with everything said up to now, I'd still argue that in the games current harder content, it's difficult for someone in my position to participate in any of it because my characters aren't to snuff. I can't do any LC hard content without getting destroyed. And even doing character event co-op missions is tricky cause I dont have the right characters properly geared to do it effectively. Speaking from a place of experience where groups just get disbanded if I try entering with a not geared unit. The only unit I have that's really well geared right now is my Papalymo and I cant just bring him into any event. Especially with this Auron event where he struggles against the magic resistant giants.

And as stated before I'm not expecting them to just give me everything. If they could at least lower the amount of trash items (and by that I mean all the 2-3 star bronze items) then I might have more if a chance to get what I need to actually play this game effectively.

And let's face it, no one wants to play a game where your characters are completely unusable. Imagine having a character you really want to use but not even having silver equips for them. It puts you in a position of "oh I might as well not even bother using them." I definitely have a handful of characters I wish I could use but it's not even worth it.

Again, not saying they should just let us have everything easy, just balance it a bit so that it's more affordable and i dont feel like i have to waste the equivalent of $100 just for a single weapon. That's 100% not worth it.

10. Shrazkil

Shrazkil Member

The game is incredibly generous with its gems, but yes, purchasing is QUITE expensive. Luckily , with just mild restrain and a little planning , free to play is VERY doable.

David Squall and Evil Crusader like this.
  11. Evil Crusader

Evil Crusader Member

Friend Code:
    Aside from the obviious 'play with forumites', may I ask which weapons do you have? It seems extremely unlikely you'd have nothing...

Yes, you can. Just stick to the Umbral Ice stance, the BRV Regen is enough to give you at least acceptable throughput. Let others do the Battery Work.

That I would agree with, but with the caveat above - it's extremely hard to make a system where items are plentiful yet you don't have to keep powercreeping or adding new shiny tiers of stuff to compensate. Which surely, would sell, but in the end you just reach a point like in Record Keeper where outside of the top 2-3 items, everything else is just meh.

12. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    These right here are what I have for weapons. Some of these weapons I'll agree are good, like the special character weapons that I was lucky enough to get. Otherwise a lot of these characters I don't use often if at all. And even some of these characters I have weapons for, I wish I could play but they just still aren't strong. But that's besides the point. And while Sabin may appear to be well off here, I spent the energy into him before I realized that's he's only good if you're ghost busting. Everything below that are bronze weapons or weapon spheres.

Edit: Also I had both of Papalymo's weapons, and maxed both of them out, hence why I was saying he's my only well geared character, along with his armor to boot. He's my first and only character like that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  13. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    I'd also say that out of all of these, only two I really use, being Papalymo and Tidus.

14. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    And also as I opened my game to get these screenshots, I saw that Ch9 release event, so I felt a little silly making all this fuss, mainly due to the fact I wasn't expecting it so soon? But regardless it'll give me a window to get more gems. It just also depends of the characters I really want to use verses those that are on the banners that I don't want to even touch.

15. Shrazkil

Shrazkil Member

It looks like you made a lot of bad pull decisions. You could just start over honestly.

Garnet banner will be quite good, and Maria banner has potential, as well as Palom (though his banner is meh).From that point you could easily save for the change in legendary pull rates.

16. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    Yeah honestly, for a while when I started, I just tried pulling for the characters I had hoping they'd get me through the game. Before I realized "oh wait, that character I just got kinda isn't great." Like when I got Faris back around when I first started playing, I was under informed and kind of just jumped right into it. From now on I will try to be more conservative with my pulls but I know with the upcoming characters it'll be hard. I would love to use Serah, Garnet, and Kain. But I most likely won't be able to afford them. And just starting over doesn't sound the most appealing to me due to having to re-level characters and wait for the moment when I can finally pull for them.

17. Shrazkil

Shrazkil Member

I am not sure how good Sarah or a Kain are in the game, but I know the upcoming Garnet Banner has three good characters on it. Cloud will become meta powerful, For several months to come with this event. So you get a built in event character by pulling for Garnet as well for several months to come with this event. So you get a bill in event character by pulling for Garnet as well. Zell Takes a while, but his new EX weapon just basically fixed all of his problems in JP.

18. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    I had never been too fond of Zell so I never considered using him. In fact I know i pulled one of his weapons one time, but sold it for a power stone cause I never thought I'd use him

Shrazkil likes this.
  19. Shrazkil

Shrazkil Member

His kit is useless for awhile, just nice to have in your pocket for the future as someone you would surely mlb in the process of pulling cloud/garnet

With the 2x cycle event, never a better time to start over.

20. Radical

Radical Taillen

Friend Code:
    Truthfully I have an alt account on the side that I use on BlueStacks, so I might just pick that up again, I hadn't gotten far in it yet