1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

An Unwelcome Return [Co-op QLV60]

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Berserkologist, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Hi everyone! After doing quite a few QLV60 Co-op runs, I've drunk deep from the chalice of victory and have occasionally been forced to lick my wounds on account of some typical errors. I thought it might be worth providing some tips to improve our collective odds at successful runs!

GENERAL TIPS
    1. DON'T RUSH!!! These bosses have deep wells of HP and their MAX BRV is dangerously high. When you see a slither of health and think "Oh, if we all HP attack with our collective 4,621 BRV, it'll surely die!" Don't assume that. Better to play it safe, get your BRV a little higher, then unload the HP attacks.
    2. Do not let you or your teammates get broken! If you have MAX BRV, you're not being targeted, but whoever is being targeted will most likely get broken if the Chimera/Dragon's BRV isn't dropped, IT'S SMARTER TO DO A BRV ATTACK!
    3. Try to keep the bosses' BRV around >1000 for the majority of the battle.

CHIMERA TALK
    [​IMG]

There are a few things you will want to keep in mind with the Chimera:

BUFF/DEBUFF CONSIDERATIONS
    Out of the two bosses, it is my opinion that the Chimera should take priority when it comes to dispelling his buffs. If and when the Chimera reaches the point where it buffs itself with BRV/HP regen (about 60% damaged), this is where things can get a little out of control. In order to ensure that you dispel the desired buff, take care of the first two buffs (ATK/DEF) when they occur. That means, if you're playing Vanille or Cloud with a Crimson Edge, USE YOUR ABILITIES AT THIS TIME!

If you happen to bring Vanille or Laguna, the Chimera makes a fantastic debuff target. Shotgun/Deshell (with Physician's Staff) can make the Chimera's Fireballs/Thunderstorms a lot less meaningful. Also, Laguna's grenade goes really far here! Debuffing his speed means it's easier to place dispels/HP damage at a comfortable pace.

If you decide to bring Hope, maintain a vigil on the use of Shell/Protect. It's far more common to summon-lock the dragon and burn it down if the Chimera fight goes smoothly.
    CRIMSON EDGE
    Just to be clear on how Crimson Edge works, it has a pretty solid chance of dispelling an enemy buff (without removing debuffs) IF YOU LAND A CRITICAL HIT WITH AN ABILITY! Save your Cross Slashes for when it's either already broken by your teammates or you're sure to break it with the first attack.
    BRAVE BUDDIES
    Hope and Yuna can really help out in this fight by supplementing the team's BRV accumulation. Part of the struggle of the fight is being able to time a decent HP attack because of the constant vacillating between offense and defense (usually) across the entire team. Having an AOE BRV battery can streamline the transition from offense to defense and defense to offense.
    CAN I TANK AND SPANK?
    Maybe! I tried experimenting with this; my Warrior of Light is admittedly mediocre.. I have seen this work where it was a support heavy team (Warrior of Light, Hope, Cloud); but Warrior of Light by himself, unless you're amazingly equipped may have a hard time of it. I wouldn't make this your go-to strategy if you have alternatives. Shout out to @CrimCat and @xTeKt0n1c for patiently enduring my experiments!
    TELEGRAPHING
    Remember that the Chimera telegraphs his attacks with the auras around the three heads. Early on, if you see a red aura around the lion's head, you might be looking at a Flaming Hoof coming. That does approximately 1,000+ BRV damage.

If you see a blue aura around the goat's head, that usually involves a blizzara or something not too threatening. On the latter portion of the fight, this can mean a lunge; which hurts a lot more (~1500 BRV).

If you see a yellow aura around the dragon's head, this is when you can expect a thunder breath, thunderstorm, and occasionally, for those lucky moments, a thundara. Don't get caught with your BRV at >400 when this happens. Don't let yourself get broken!
    SKULL DRAGON TALK
    [​IMG]

The Skull Dragon is the second part of the fight. This part can either be a walk in the park or walk off the plank. Let's dive in!

SUMMON LOCKING
    It is very possible, if you played the Chimera well, to summon lock the Skull Dragon and burn him down before he can know what hit him. This requires the Chimera fight to go well. All the more reason to not be reckless with your summons!
    BUFF/DEBUFF CONSIDERATIONS
    If you make it to this part of the fight and you still have some Dispel/Cross Slashes sitting around; save'em! When the Skull Dragon does Ancient Power, you can whittle away his buffs, one-by-one. Necessary? No. But it's definitely helpful.

As with the Chimera, debuffing the Skull Dragon's ATK/DEF is great; however, I prefer a speed debuff above all. Laguna and Zidane can help with this. Just make sure you have some debuffs left by the time the Chimera goes down.

Setzer can really help in this fight. It's a little tricky to time Freeze Solid; but if you get it right, you can completely invalidate Crushing Fang (twice). When it happens, it's pretty satisfying. Also remember that if you're using Death Tarot, the MAX BRV team buff stacks with summons making it easier to burn him down if you're summon locking.

CRUSHING FANG

If you or a teammate get hit with Crushing Fang (which drops the target's BRV to 0 and then results in a break) you might be in trouble. The best thing you can do is to try to burn down the ~7000-8000 BRV the Skull Dragon will be walking around with after performing this attack. That means, if you're playing Yuna/Hope, this is NOT the time to do an Esuna/Shell/Protect; throw a BRV attack out; every little bit counts and may be the difference between losing a teammate and saving one. If you're on Bartz, laugh! This is your moment! Assuming you still have charges of Missile. If you're on Setzer, well, you might've messed up... the idea is to pre-emptively drop a Freeze Solid before the Crushing Fang so the Skull Dragon is left with woes and questionable unlife decisions; use Red Card if you have it.
    HIS WEAKNESS, OUR ADVANTAGE
    This part of the fight can benefit from Tifa, Onion Knight, and Vaan. Tifa in general can crush the Skull Dragon very quickly if done right. Reserve your Beat Rushes for breaks, then Battle Cry yourself into glorious levels of BRV. Onion Knight's blizzard combo is fantastic against the Skull Dragon as it's weak to cold. And Vaan's Red Spiral/White Whorl, after their second use, can do devastating amounts of damage.
    CONCLUSION
    This fight is very doable. It is the hardest of the present co-op challenges, but, if you don't rush, pace your damage wisely, and prevent yourself from getting broken you'll find it to be much easier.

If you want some help and I'm available, I'm almost always up to lend a hand. Don't be shy! Ask!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Bard, Bejda, Andrik7777777 and 13 others like this.
  2. LAFORGUS

LAFORGUS Member

Friend Code:
  3. Rhaeserys

Rhaeserys Biggest Terra Fangirl EVER

Extremely helpful guide. Unfortunately for me, my Vanille is 45/50 with Vivi's staff and her armor and my Yuna is in a laughable state right now. lol My only good unit is Terra, 50/50, with Cloud close behind at 46/50 and his full equipment.

I think I may be using my Terra ineffectively for one thing. When I'm targeted, I try to maintain my BRV and when I see someone about to be broken, I try to lower the attack they are about to be dealt by then the Host gets angry and shouts with HP Attack stickers. Sheesh. Co-op is so stressful. I hate letting people down, especially hosts.

I do have Bartz though and it sounds like he may be useful for the UnDead Dragon. He's 43/50 with his Chocoblade LB1 and Tifa's Power Armband. I'd really love to get that 5 tickets. Ugh.

If you do not mind me asking this, who do you think should I switch my Terra out with to be more helpful to the team? Yuna? Vanille? Bartz?

Berserkologist likes this.
  4. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c The Art of Lazy Admin! Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP GL Player

Friend Code:
    SOLID guide mate!

5. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Honestly, Terra's fine. In fact, Terra can really do good work in this fight. I'd say you're making the right choice to be defensively minded. Let the Host get upset; when you win, know that it's because you ensured your teammates aren't getting killed that made it possible.

One of the fastest ways to lose this fight is for a teammate to die. If your team is letting teammates (or themselves) get broken, the likelihood someone's taking a dirt nap increases. I said a couple of times, don't rush.

Rhaeserys likes this.
  6. Rhaeserys

Alright then, I'll keep trying the way that I've been going. Hopefully I can achieve some victories today, at least.

Thank you for the guide! :)

7. CrimCat

CrimCat Cat (Mer-type)

Friend Code:
    I demand to be credited in your updated guide!

8. NewPollution

NewPollution spooky boi

Friend Code:
    This works best when you're playing with people you know.

For randoms, the idea is to play smart and use these tips to compensate for any differences in skill in the Chimera fight, use your stickers to tell them to absolutely not summon at all during it (unless not doing so would result in a death, but then something is seriously wrong already), then triple summon vs the dragon and go to town.

A well leveled WoL is very good in this co-op if you have WoL / BRV attacker / Damage Dealer, or any makeup that isn't triple support.

There's not a lot of wrong picks, you just have to have everyone in the team properly leveled on both fronts or you'll be wasting skills to push through one half of the fight and jeopardize the second half.

9. robaisolken

robaisolken FF Gaming Legend VIP

Friend Code:
    This guy write. great job

10. DanT

DanT Coffeeologist Supreme! VIP

Keep putting up the solid work, mate.

11. AZRAel

AZRAel FFanboy

Friend Code:
    [GL]=363751682 [JP]=738632182
    nice guide, great job dude

12. Ashlag

Ashlag Partially Dead Inside VIP

Friend Code:
    This cover most of it indeed, in in a pretty didactic way. Good job :Nice:

13. INMATE 4859

INMATE 4859 Decided to break free

Could be wrong here - but what I observed is that people are scared to do HP damage when targeted at the beginning of the Chimera battle.
    The damage it does at the beginning is laughable and killing the Chimera faster is better imo - sometimes things got out of hand and a summon was used during chimera battle which dwarved our chances of survival.
    In regard to the 2nd battle - some people kicked things off with a summon - if that was accompanied by a summon during chimera battle - I knew this battle is gonna be lost.

- I am talking free recruit battles here

Battles that get lost in the end take more time than those that are won - which makes losing even more annoying.

14. Ashlag

Ashlag Partially Dead Inside VIP

Friend Code:
    About this, red is about 1k brv, blue 4-500 and yellow aoe 400 at the beginning. While this is low, getting broken even it this stage is a very bad idea. Also to note that if you are at low brv after yellow aoe cause you went in with 500 brv, and you get targeted by red and just pushed through big fireballs threshold, unless you can build 3k brv you'll get broken and this will go south. Being safe is better than being sorry as even without making big mistakes this can escalate quickly.

15. INMATE 4859

INMATE 4859 Decided to break free

OK - to be fair - I have been going in with Vanille and been using deprotect, so the damage was much lower (like 200something) - my bad sorry

16. Rhaeserys

So, is anyone using the current 2x Quest Key event as an advantage to level up characters just for this co-op? :P

17. impulzive

impulzive New Member

Very nice guide, sometimes playing with randoms I wish there were stickers that would convey my feelings better, mind you they would probably be censored.

18. Rhaeserys

Agreed.

However, there should really be two co-op modes. One for friends, and one for randoms or followers. The followers/randoms would be restricted to timers and stickers, but for close friends the timers are removed (but you are given "kick" buttons in case they become inactive or frozen/bugged) and instead of stickers, you get a "chat" system so that you can cooperate better and just chill.

I never understood why mobile online cooperation modes had to be so restrictive. You either have to compensate for new players, work around mistakes of others, guess ahead of your team mates or carry people because of ineffective co-op systems...

19. Bard

Bard OCTOMAMMOTH Spoony Bard VIP

Friend Code:
    GL416891699 JP412565794
    Nice guide, sure-fire strategy is be cautious and don't get broke. Though you should get a little crazy if you're running with 2 good or 3 decent brv smashing chars. You can more often than not recover from being broken if mates are using their skills as they should and even if you can't re-break by the end of round eating some kick is preferable as that grants you an easy break the following turns with more window to dump a hp atk.

This is rough guideline that I try to stick to versus Chimera which is for sure the bigger pain in the ass compared to Boney Dragon. Last 30-40% is ok to burn a summon if things get hairy or if you want a fast run.
    Lion = unload if not targeted or gain to unload during goat
    Goat greater than 50% = unload if not targeted
    Goat less than 50% = gain brv for storm or hp atk >> brv atk if 2 turns in round or a re-break is coming that will bump you a 2nd turn in round
    Dragon above 50% = gain brv for lion unload or hp atk >> brv atk if 2 turns in round or a re-break is coming that will bump you a 2nd turn in round
    Dragon less than 50% = gain brv for storm