1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

A Berserk Perspective: Zell

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Berserkologist, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    ZELL REVIEW BY BERSERKOLOGIST
    [​IMG]

ORIGIN: FINAL FANTASY VIII
    ROLE: ATTACKER
    WEAPON TYPE: [​IMG]
    CRYSTAL TYPE: [​IMG]

ATTRIBUTESMAX STATS
    HP:4468
    Initial Brave:646
    Max Brave:1437
    ATK:480
    DEF:367
    ABILITIES:
    Punch Rush (5 USES)

4-hit Melee BRV attack
    Self: 3 turns Duel
    Transforms into group ranged BRV+HP attack Burning Rave while Duel buff is active
    Booya (5 USES)
    Melee thunder BRV attack
    Self: 3 turns Duel
    Transforms into melee BRV attack + HP attack Meteor Barrage while Duel buff is active

PROS:
    Zell's has middling stats all around (except for his HP, which is top-tier), his speed is average, and his abilities at a glance may not seem like much. Punch Rush and Booya on their own are subpar BRV attacks; but once you use either of them, Zell gets the Duel buff for 3 turns which changes his abilities into unique channeling attacks.

Burning Rave is a pretty attractive channeling attack. It's similar to Yang's Kick attack, only instead of doing BRV+HP attack with a 10-20% splash HP attack, Burning Rave does AOE BRV damage AND AOE HP damage (the HP portion is the same mechanic as Kick, with 10-20% HP damage being done to peripheral targets). Kinda nice! The AOE BRV attack allows for some nice strategies or to spike Zell's BRV considerably before the ending HP attack.

Booya is a little more straightforward. It does feature the thunder element giving him a slight edge against machines. The ability it transforms into, Meteor Barrage, is like most channeling attacks that starts with a chunk of BRV damage and ends in an HP attack.

CONS:
    Notice that I didn't talk about the fact that Zell has 5 inherent uses of his two abilities in the pro section? Well, the reason why is because of his ability mechanic. In order to get access to the shiny Burning Rave/Meteor Barrage, you have to exhaust either Punch Rush or Booya, which also exhausts Burning Rave/Meteor Barrage uses (they share the same ability counts). It's pretty easy to prematurely find yourself with no abilities left to use.

The other thing about Zell is that he'll feel a little slow. He's actually not... but the way his rhythm works, requires a bit of setup/build up. First you have to use a Punch Rush or Booya to get the Duel buff... then, you might feel like you want your BRV to be higher to get better use out of a Burning Rave; so you're stuck doing a regular BRV attack or two. Of course, if you're well equipped, this will be much less of an issue (I guess you could say his gear dependency is a little more obvious than other heroes).

COMBO POTENTIAL:
    I love pairing Zell with Yang for the double AOE HP assault. Zidane and Tidus seem to go well with Zell due to their speed and ability to clean up after a Burning Rave. He does well with BRV batteries (Eiko, Yuna, Hope). Like most channeling attackers, pairing him with Warrior of Light and Galuf is a good choice.

EQUIPMENT AND PASSIVE REVIEW:
    MAVERICK REVIEW
    MORE COMING SOON!

BERSERKOLOGIST'S CHARACTER ANALYSIS:

**SANS SPOILERS
    I was never a big Zell fan. I don't dislike Zell, but yeah, not his biggest fan.

I started to write up a deeper character analysis but realized with the whole Edea shenanigans there are a lot of details I've forgotten or am unsure about. I think I'm going to replay FF8 to jog my memory (ironic) before writing something of depth.

BERSERKOLOGIST'S ANALYSIS MANIFEST (BAM™):
    Character Design①:7 / 10
    DOO Sprite:7 / 10
    Ideally Equipped:7.5 / 10
    BRV Attacker:8 / 10
    HP Attacker:9 / 10
    Status Affliction:1 / 10
    Buffs/Debuffs:4 / 10
    Long Battles:6.5 / 10
    Short Battles:8.5 / 10
    Personal Rating:8 / 10
    ①Character design refers to source material and the personality/vicissitudes of the hero's journey.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Dmotron32

Dmotron32 Active Member

Of all knuckle weilders, he is probably my favorite fister of all FF series, though Sabin might be very close and Tifa not far behind.

3. Vediad

Vediad Seed

Friend Code:
    great review.. I really like using Zell here, his move set is really cool.
    I think pairing him with Hope and Tidus really boost my first team

4. Dmotron32

Dmotron32 Active Member

Yous not fooling anyone, we know why you give him props :Crying Laughing:

5. Vediad

Vediad Seed

Friend Code:
    why you say that.. I haven't say nothing about my addition on Zell

6. Dark Shiva

Dark Shiva New Member

Friend Code:
    Charged booya, buargh!