1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

A Berserk Perspective: Terra

Discussion in 'General' started by Berserkologist, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Easily manipulated, mysterious, and magical... Final Fantasy 6 doesn't exactly have a protagonist, but, nowadays people say it's Terra. How does she hold up in Dissidia? Read on!

TERRA REVIEW BY BERSERKOLOGIST
    [​IMG]

ROLE: ATTACKER
    WEAPON TYPE: [​IMG]
    CRYSTAL TYPE: [​IMG]

ATTRIBUTESMAX STATS
    HP:3656
    Initial Brave:831
    Max Brave:1500
    ATK:509
    DEF:367

ABILITIES:
    Meltdown (Chant) (3 USES)

Self: BRV x1.5 ; Self: 3 turns ATK Up I ; Self: 5 turns MAX BRV I ; Upgrades HP attack. High turn rate.​

Meteor (Chant) (3 USES)
    Self: BRV x1.5 ; Self: 3 turns ATK Up I ; Self: 5 turns SPD Up I ; Upgrades HP attack. High turn rate.​

PROS:
    Hey kids! Do you like damage?! I said, DO YOU LIKE DAMAGE?! Because if you do, holy crap balls, does Terra dump it out like she doesn't know what to do with it all! Terra's offensively focused base stats are all top-tier! Her initial BRV, MAX BRV, and ATK are as high as they get (baseline); so she starts off on a good leg.

However, where a lot of attackers are oriented towards dishing out high amounts of BRV damage, Terra's all about HP damage. Instead of blasting an enemy with a hard hitting BRV attack, she self-boosts her own BRV by 50% with her abilities. After which, depending on the Chant you use, her HP attack is upgraded and behaves uniquely--based on which one you select.

If you use her Meltdown chant she'll do an HP attack with a high chance to debuff the enemy's DEF stat; she also will buff her own ATK, MAX BRV, and dramatically increase her turn rate upon using the chant. If you use her Meteor chant she'll do a blistering BRV attack that climaxes in an HP attack and she'll have a high chance of debuffing the enemy's speed; she also will buff her own ATK, SPD, and dramatically increase her turn rate upon using the chant.

It's damn near broken! It isn't surprising to see a Terra do over 15,000 HP damage during a summon. Nasty. Just nasty!​

CONS:
    First, Terra's a glass cannon. Her HP and DEF are very, very low (lowest tier).

Second, she's not the most fluid hero to use. Knowing when to chant and when to BRV attack is half the battle when using her. Don't expect to waltz into a battle, press a button and everything goes ka-boom! You have to plan and think your turns out in advance to best utilize her kit.

And finally, she's a freaking turn hog! If your goal is to have a low turn count by the end of the battle, Terra is not going to help you with this. If you summon, she's kind of like Yuna, in that she often pushes her teammates out of the summon rotation with the use of her chants (not the worst thing in the world to happen, but during co-op it can be a little frustrating for the other players).

COMBO POTENTIAL:
    Since Terra's really about HP damage, she will have a lot of windows of vulnerability. Pairing her with a tank (Galuf and Warrior of Light) can smooth out the experience. She does very nicely with any other attacker that chews BRV up; since you want to leverage her chants to crank her BRV up, having teammates that can BRV break will give the bonus to your team, giving Terra a good starting point for chanting (Squall, Zidane, Onion Knight and Yda can really help with setup).​

EQUIPMENT AND PASSIVE REVIEW:
    FALCHION REVIEW

MORE COMING SOON!

BERSERKOLOGIST'S CHARACTER ANALYSIS:
    **SANS SPOILERS
    Hmm, I'm probably going to get some shit for this... Terra was one of my least favorite characters in Final Fantasy 6 (keep in mind, I adore Final Fantasy 6--even my least favorite character I enjoyed and loved a thousand times more than someone like Cloud). I can't really describe the details without spoilers, so check the SPOILER if you're interested (don't if you haven't played Final Fantasy 6).

OK... so she starts off an imperial puppet... she gets free/rescued and reluctantly joins the Returners as a confused, weak girl (even though she has crazy powers that no one else in the world has). She eventually goes ballistic, finds out she's half-esper, and while there's so much potential for an interesting character to emerge from these details, it never happens.

Final Fantasy 6 has a cast of tremendous depth and richness. There's so much thought given to the characters and the delivery of their essence is unfolded in such a way that it provides a rewarding experience for the player to discover. Even the most "vacant" hero of Final Fantasy 6 (Shadow) has so much to him! He's a downright fascinating cat.

In the second phase of the world, Terra apparently goes a little loco and discovers her latent maternal side. She's now mama Terra. It's a really dull story... even her reasons to rejoin the group are weak at best.

She was never "hero" material to begin with; but by the mama phase, she's even less "hero." Her motivation is 100% tethered to the orphans... It sounds nice, but, seriously?! You watched the world fall apart, you know who's responsible, you know that it's getting worse, and that you're probably one of the best shots for humanity to recover from the devastation you failed to prevent, and your singular focus and motivation for getting back in the fray are a bunch of orphans?!

ARRRGH!!!!

Anyway, yeah... not a huge Terra fan. She's not terrible in my book. I just never loved her like everyone else seems to.

BERSERKOLOGIST'S ANALYSIS MANIFEST (BAM™):
    Character Design①:6.5 / 10
    DOO Sprite:8.5 / 10
    Ideally Equipped:10 / 10
    BRV Attacker:6 / 10
    HP Attacker:10 / 10
    Status Affliction:1 / 10
    Buffs/Debuffs:9 / 10
    Long Battles:8 / 10
    Short Battles:9 / 10
    Personal Rating:9.5 / 10

Character design refers to source material and the personality/vicissitudes of the hero's journey.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. udon

udon blinded by light

and here i was loving your work

no wait, still got love for you :)

regarding your spoilers - and mind you i haven't played ff6 since psx days, so my memories of ff6 are through rose tinted glasses - you make a good point in her character being not as good as advertised

PikaJew and Berserkologist like this.
  3. FFfan

FFfan Active Member

Finally, it’s Terra time.

In case ppl forgot the story of her.
    Here is the YouTube I found:

Berserkologist likes this.
  4. Dmotron32

Dmotron32 Active Member

My favorite game was 6. Shadow turned into my best mage lol. Thanks to Espers

5. Roche

Roche Member GL Player

Friend Code:
    Since you mentioned about Terra and Yuna both vying for Queen of Turn-hoggers, perhaps do a review on Yuna next? I personally love the way Yuna is able to support Co-Ops with back to back Esuna spams until BRV cap, especially during summons!

Berserkologist likes this.
  6. PikaJew

PikaJew Poster of Screenshots

Friend Code:
    I don't really see how in FF6 Terra needs more depth than to be inspired by the orphans. She herself was orphaned at a young age, and by the time that FF6 takes place is still rather young. So realistically there isn't much development a writer can do with her anyway.

So in curious, who is your favorite FF6 character? For me Cyan and Locke are my favorites. Sadly they didn't contribute as much to battles as others did though.

7. Vediad

Vediad Seed

Friend Code:
    You're really right here. First time I've used her with her 5* weapon I was expecting doing a lot of damage, but finished in waste skill and turn (and damage of course).
    It's not an autoplay character (yes, there are character more difficult to use), you have to think about which skill use and the right time to use it.

8. Ashlag

Ashlag Partially Dead Inside VIP

Friend Code:
    There is one thing to add IMO. While she is a turn hogger, her ability to do unmatched damages with pretty small setups (if used properly) reduce the fights length a lot. Meaning that it balances pretty well in the end.
    In the future, there seem to be an update of her skills making this irrelevant btw (I'm not that aware of the functioning, ask JP people).

9. DanT

DanT Coffeeologist Supreme! VIP

Terra has always been one of my favorites in VI together with Locke, Celes and Edgar, but I have to agree with you that even my least favorites in that game are better than some of my favorites in other games. XD

PikaJew and Berserkologist like this.
  10. Berserkologist

Friend Code:
    Edgar, Locke, Celes, and an honorary mention for Shadow.and Cyan.

PikaJew likes this.
  11. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifus VIP GL + JP Player

Friend Code:

And a Multiplayer video of 3 Terras. (Mind you we weren't maxed at the time of making this particular video):

12. FFfan

FFfan Active Member

I wish Locke is here. When I first played FF6, I always think he is the “leading man”.
    Btw, is shadow useful ? Seems no one talks about him.

13. Ashlag

Ashlag Partially Dead Inside VIP

Friend Code:
    Okay, so casting the chant will do both chant + atk in the same turn. Which is godly :)

14. Berserkologist

Friend Code:
    Shadow review will be done by Saturday.

PikaJew and FFfan like this.
  15. Steviematic

Steviematic Not interested in toxic fanbases.

So later in JPN (and I think it was just an update to her) the chant mechanic is changed so that instead of replacing your HP Attack, it just chants and casts the spell (keeping HP Attack as HP Attack always which is nice on its own.) All the other extra/bonus effects like buffs and Brave boosts still happen. So basically she's the same but even deadlier.

Lyra likes this.