1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

A Berserk Perspective: Onion Knight

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Berserkologist, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Back in 1990, Squaresoft released Final Fantasy 3 where you play as the Warriors of Light. At the time, they were nameless (in the 3D remake, they named them Luneth, Arc, Refia, and Ingus); and so in Dissidia Opera Omnia, the representing hero is Onion Knight (the starting class of 3). Let's have a look at what they did with him!

ONION KNIGHT REVIEW BY BERSERKOLOGIST
    [​IMG]

ROLE: ATTACKER
    WEAPON TYPE: [​IMG]
    CRYSTAL TYPE: [​IMG]

ATTRIBUTESMAX STATS
    HP:3859
    Initial Brave:785
    Max Brave:1500
    ATK:480
    DEF:367

ABILITIES:
    Blizzard Combo (5 USES)

5-hit magic BRV attack. Ice elemental. Grants Sage I and removes Ninja. Sage stacks up to 3 times and raises attack by a small amount for each stack.​

Multi Hit (5 USES)
    6-hit melee physical BRV attack. Grants Ninja I and removes Sage. Ninja stacks up to 3 times and raises speed by a small amount for each stack.​

PROS:
    Onion Knight is a fairly versatile attacker. Through the use of his Sage and Ninja buffs, he can adapt his role to the needs of the battle. Blizzard Combo (especially if you're using an Ancient Sword) hits fairly hard and increases Onion Knight's ATK a little with each use (capping out on the third use). While Multi Hit produces moderate damage and increases his speed with each use (capping out on the third use).

If you're up against something that is weak against ice, I think this is when Onion Knight is a particularly attractive option. Blizzard Combo can and will impressively burst down the susceptible target.

He also has 5 uses of both his abilities. This gives him some nice potential in longer battles.

CONS:
    Onion Knight's base stats are kind of atrocious (with the exception of his MAX BRV). His mechanics, while cute and clearly intended to portray the class change system of FFIII, are clumsy and almost frustrating to make good use of. It sucks having to sacrifice Sage II because you want to move a little faster due to a companion's brave getting broken; or having to give up the speed because his damage is too underwhelming.

His passives fail to streamline these separate approaches; if anything the passives further polarize Sage and Ninja; making it even more frustrating to oscillate or prioritize.

Even at his best, he's not even close to, say, Zidane's output. That being said, unless you're a real fan of Onion Knight, there are so many alternatives you can use that will do what he does better.*

*It is my belief that there really isn't a "bad hero." Any and every single one of them can work. While some heroes like Galuf are what I'd consider "advanced" (you need to think him out a little more than a typical BRV attacker to make great use of him), Onion Knight is not. He does have beginner's potential--and again, if you want to make good use of him, you can.

COMBO POTENTIAL:
    Since Onion Knight's focus is about self-buffing, he doesn't generally need to be paired with other buffers... buuut, you could pair him with Sazh, use Attack Boost on him while Ninja is up and get the best of both worlds. Like most attackers, he pairs nicely with debuffers (Vanille and Laguna).

E
    QUIPMENT AND PASSIVE REVIEW:
    ANCIENT SWORD REVIEW

MORE COMING SOON!

BERSERKOLOGIST'S CHARACTER ANALYSIS:
    **SANS SPOILERS
    Onion Knight's kind of like Warrior of Light... there isn't much to say about him. He's generic as can be. I believe the aim of Squaresoft at the time was to help players engage their imaginations to project their own idea of a hero onto these "blank slates." The cost of this? Well, not much personality for one.

FFIII in its original format was kind of a typical, linear RPG. Light versus dark, light prevails. Throughout the story, I can't say that Onion Knight brought much flavor to that journey (in the remake, where they rebranded the heroes, that changes--I mean, even the developers acknowledged that something was missing and decided to polish over the original presentation).

BERSERKOLOGIST'S ANALYSIS MANIFEST (BAM™):
    Character Design①:2 / 10
    DOO Sprite:6 / 10
    Ideally Equipped:6 / 10
    BRV Attacker:6.5 / 10
    HP Attacker:3.5 / 10
    Status Affliction:1 / 10
    Buffs/Debuffs:7 / 10
    Long Battles:7.5 / 10
    Short Battles:6 / 10
    Personal Rating:4 / 10
    ①Character design refers to source material and the personality/vicissitudes of the hero's journey.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    xTeKt0n1c, Motosyko21, Roche and 3 others like this.
  2. DanT

DanT Coffeeologist Supreme! VIP

I've adquired a special distaste for onions because he was a huge unwanted troll for me when I was pulling in the Terra/Squall/OK banner in JP. lol

3. FFfan

FFfan Active Member

For Terra 35Cp weapon, is she on any banners besidse Seymour?
    I really don’t want this guy.

4. PikaJew

PikaJew Poster of Screenshots

Friend Code:
    Oh boy, I hope I don't make to many people angry with this post but here goes nothing.
    Quick disclaimer, I only played the FF3 remake, not the original. With that said,
    ***FF3 SPOILERS AHEAD**
    First, the starting class for FF3 wasn't Onion Knight, it was Warrior (or maybe Freelancer, I'm having a Galuf moment). Onion Knight is typically a bonus class in games it is available in.

2nd, I was actually surprised by FF3's story I expected much less because it was such an old game but it had a floating island, and an underwater part to it as well. Also they do mention in the game a few times that sometimes the light becomes to strong and Warriors of Darkness are required to bring back balance. The main antagonist's motivation makes sense to me. He felt jiped that his gift from the Gods was mortality, when several of his equals got things like unlimited power and other dtuff like that that I don't remember off the top of my head, and those who did receive those gifts later claim that mortality was the best of all the gifts. Easy for them to say of course, but it does bring up the debate of the merits of being able to die.

Why do people hate Seymour so much? His motivations as a Cosmic Nihilist are relatively reasonable when you learn about his past, and his theme Seymour's Ambition, was the best track in FF10.

5. Berserkologist

Friend Code:
    Actually, in the original FFIII the starting class was Onion Knight. I promise.

The remake was a lot more polished than the original. It's not that the original was bad in anyway (I liked it), but the remake was practically a different game. Onion Knight is from the original, Luneth is the protagonist of the remake. Don't be surprised if we end up getting a Luneth character down the road, as he's almost unrelated to the original.

EDIT: In hindsight, I actually think it would've been wise for them to rebrand the remake of FFIII.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. PikaJew

Friend Code:
    I believe you. If the games were really that different then I can see why you would feel underwhelmed by FF3. With that said, I'm not so sure that we'll get both Onion Knight and Luneth because, isn't Luneth technically the Onion Knight? FFBE differentiated between Luneth and Onion Knight, but they weren't part of the story so it didn't matter.

7. Berserkologist

Friend Code:
    Barely! :D With the re-branding they did, they gave Luneth, Ingus, Arc, and Refia their own quirks and personalities. Go back to the dialog parts of Dissidia Opera Omnia where you meet Onion Knight and ask yourself if that's how you remember Luneth being.

I never said I was underwhelmed by FFIII. Again, I liked it. Hell, I enjoyed it very much. But it is what it is. It was a quasi-ambitious NES project that is so dramatically overshadowed by its successors. It's still a good game (give it a shot! It's not too hard to get the original on an emulator).

8. PikaJew

Friend Code:
    Well, I did always say that the biggest jump in quality in FF games was 3 to 4. Also I think they made OK a bit more interesting in Dissidia, as more of an intelectual, but completely destroyed Cloud of Darkness' character. Like, Star Wars The Phantom Menace level of destruction of something great.

9. Ashlag

Ashlag Partially Dead Inside VIP

Friend Code:
    Welp. I saw a OK in lvl 60MP. He raped literally the dragon. I know this is situational, but OK is perfectly viable IMO. The difference in damage output ain't that marked from what I saw, and as soon as you start to unlock his passives he get ever stronger. He might not be the best, but he rocks for current event (at the very least).

10. Vediad

Vediad Seed

Friend Code:
    I think it works really well cause the Skeleton Dragon is weak to ice attack and the 1st skill of OK is bravery magic ice attack, same as Tifa that have a passive that grant her more damage vs skeleton

11. Ashlag

Ashlag Partially Dead Inside VIP

Friend Code:
    I know, I know. That's why I centered it on the current event ;)

Vediad likes this.
  12. Vediad

Vediad Seed

Friend Code:
    yeah.. you've give proof, not always weakness work well against boss