1. Register NOW and get a chance to win $15!

Click HERE for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been added! Scroll down and join the live discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

A Berserk Perspective: Bartz

Discussion in 'General' started by Berserkologist, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Berserkologist

Berserkologist Retired and Permanently Inactive VIP

Friend Code:
    Friend of chocobos, fearless world-hopping adventurer--let's have ourselves a good look at Final Fantasy V's protagonist, Bartz!

BARTZ REVIEW BY BERSERKOLOGIST
    [​IMG]

ROLE: ATTACKER
    WEAPON TYPE: [​IMG]
    CRYSTAL TYPE: [​IMG]

ATTRIBUTESMAX STATS
    HP:4062
    Initial Brave:739
    Max Brave:1437
    ATK:500
    DEF:424

ABILITIES:
    Doublehand (7 USES)

Melee BRV attack ; Mastery with 3 uses ; Mastery: Moderately boosts ability​

Missile (5 USES)
    Unleashes melee BRV attack upon reducing target's BRV by 25% ; Mastery with 2 uses ; Mastery: Unleashes melee BRV attack upon reducing target's BRV by 50%

PROS:
    I like to think of Bartz as one of the best "emergency" fixers. Doublehand after mastery hits hard (especially if using Chocoblade) and Missile fixes those situations that got a little out of hand.

What do I mean by "emergency fixers?" I'm mostly talking about Missile (although Doublehand will often work, post-mastery). On early uses, Missile will drop the enemy's BRV a flat 25% and then follow through with a standard BRV attack. But if you use Missile after mastery, it does 50% of the enemy's current BRV and then follows with a standard BRV attack! Think about that for a second... say you're doing the level 60 Co-op, and the Skull Dragon does Crushing Fang--assuming the attack connects, Skull Dragon now has >7,000 BRV... along comes Bartz, and he's like, "Nope!" Drop a Missile post-mastery, it'll do over 3,500 BRV damage and then whatever his standard BRV attack generates! From deadly to manageable in a single ability!

The great thing about Bartz is that he can use his abilities very liberally or he can have abilities at the tail end of very long battles. He starts off with a base 7 and 5 use on his abilities (and he gets passives that offer another charge!).

His base stats are all above average, he has above average speed, and he's the only hero as of my writing this that has a percentage-based BRV attack!​

CONS:
    Bartz's biggest con I'd say is his "late-blooming." While Doublehand and Missile are great, that really is only after mastery. Before mastery, these abilities are kinda underwhelming. You might be spending a few turns dumping abilities just to get them to mastered status (at least they're still more or less productive).

COMBO POTENTIAL:
    Since I like to think of Bartz as an emergency response hero, I'm particularly keen on pairing him with a Penelo to give him the speed boost he might need to respond quickly. Otherwise, like most BRV attackers, he does well with debuffers (Laguna and Vanille). I also like Y'shtola with Bartz since Stone can push an enemy's turn back and sometimes that's just what was needed to fix a situation gone bad.​

EQUIPMENT AND PASSIVE REVIEW:
    COMING SOON!

BERSERKOLOGIST'S CHARACTER ANALYSIS:
    **SANS SPOILERS
    I used to describe Bartz as the "feel good hero."

He's a carefree dude, hanging out with his buddy, Boco, going on adventures for no particular reason aside from going on adventures.

After becoming one of the Warriors of Light, he maintains that attitude only with a dash of responsibility/conscience. I think it's time for the spoilers! Open the SPOILER at your own risk:

I loved his "jump first, think later" attitude he maintains throughout the entire story.

He finds a suspicious old man by a meteorite, "He can come with us!"

He finds a pirate ship with murderous buccaneers, "I'm gonna steal this ship!"

He gets cautioned to stay on his planet and not pursue Exdeath because the consequences are likely irreversible, "Let's go anyway!"

He was never a genius... but his lack of excuses, almost foolhardy courage, and effectiveness (be it through dumb luck or talent) really made him a charmer.

BERSERKOLOGIST'S ANALYSIS MANIFEST (BAM™):
    Character Design①:8.5 / 10
    DOO Sprite:7 / 10
    Ideally Equipped:8.5 / 10
    BRV Attacker:10 / 10
    HP Attacker:4 / 10
    Status Affliction:1 / 10
    Buffs/Debuffs:3 / 10
    Long Battles:9 / 10
    Short Battles:6 / 10
    Personal Rating:9 / 10

Character design refers to source material and the personality/vicissitudes of the hero's journey.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. FFfan

FFfan Active Member

i think Bartz is a very special unit. Even without his weapons, his 50% Brv shave skill alone is pretty much future proof already. (imagine a boss with 200k Brv....)

3. DanT

DanT Coffeeologist Supreme! VIP

I've always liked Bartz and most FFV characters, which is surprising considering FFV overall doesn't do a great job at character development in my opinion. All of them just feel so... likeable.

PikaJew and Berserkologist like this.
  4. Rhaeserys

Rhaeserys Biggest Terra Fangirl EVER

I always liked Bartz. Final Fantasy V was actually one of the first old FF titles I really sat down to enjoy and play at an older age. I remember playing FFIII (VI) but I was but a child so the experience was kind of lost on me. When the PSX collection came out though, it was my first real playthrough. I liked his personality and how lighthearted he was, despite the world he was in. Plus, his chocobo sidekick was adorable!

I use him in my team on Opera Omnia simply for that. Probably isn't a wise decision to most to build a team around your favorites, but, oh well! When Ramza and Edgar come out, my decisions will be tough. Terra, Edgar and Ramza, or Terra, Edgar and Bartz? Oh my! :cactuar: For now though, his skills are great! His BRV skill chops down enemy BRV like a knife to butter. It is good for me because I don't like to spam Guests in normal battles or like to keep them until the end for harder battles, so his skills come in handy! Plus, can use them many times! :clapping:

Anyway, wonderful review and exceptionally well written content! Great job!

5. FFfan

FFfan Active Member

Terra, Ramza and Bartz would make a great team.

6. PikaJew

PikaJew Poster of Screenshots

Friend Code:
    For fans of FF5, check out FF Dimensions on iOS and Android. It's basically FF5 on steroids (just doesn't have cloud storage for saves :6:).